Saturday, September 11, 2021

Drama and Ice Cream

 Drama and Ice Cream

By Bobby Neal Winters

Last night we went to Braums to pick up supper and bring it home.  We’d turned in our order and were waiting when an Indian couple came with their ice cream cones and sat down at one of the booths by us.

For the sake of my readers in Oklahoma, let me say, yes, Indian.  These were not descendants of the pre-Columbian inhabitants of our continent.  They were from India or from some region in ethnic continuity with it.  And they were speaking a language that was not English.  It had the tonal quality of Hindi, but the specifics don’t matter.

I said they were speaking, but it would be more precise to say she was speaking.  A lot.  She was speaking in a tone that the males of the species had better learn to listen to should they wish to lead simple, happy lives.  

They were each dressed like they were out on a date, and she was dressed in a very classy manner.

As I said, she was talking to him as they both sat on the same bench of the booth.

Were I to guess--and please allow me that liberty--I would say she was giving him an unsolicited assessment of his character.  It sounded thorough. I don’t think she missed too many spots.

Then, at one point, he gently plopped his ice cream cone down on its side in front of her, and walked quietly out the door of Braums.  I think that my wife and I may have been the only ones to notice. 

For her part, she sat there in the booth for a small space as if nothing had happened.  Then she carefully gathered her accoutrements, both ice creams included, as if nothing happened, and left quietly out the door of Braums as well.

I couldn’t see if she departed in the car with him or she went home by Shank’s Mare. It will remain a mystery.

Again, I think that my wife and I were the only ones who noticed this as it was done in such a quiet, classy fashion.

I was going to say I hope they work it all out, but I think it’s better to say, I hope they both find their way.

Culture--which includes art, literature, religion, and so many other things--is a collection of ways we develop for living in a fallen world.  Things don’t always work out the way we would like or the way we would expect.  As human beings, we learn ways of dealing.

Their cultural way of dealing with a disagreement in a public place was quiet and classy.  That makes them different from many of us.  However, they are united with the rest of us in the challenges that come with being men and women.  Our feelings are deep and strong. They are often difficult to contain.

But I have now seen this can be done with dignity and class.

Bobby Winters, a native of Harden City, Oklahoma, blogs at redneckmath.blogspot.com and okieinexile.blogspot.com. He invites you to “like'' the National Association of Lawn Mowers on Facebook. Search for him by name on YouTube. )


No comments: