Friday, January 07, 2022

The Holy Trinity of the Frontenac-Pittsburg Metroplex

 The Holy Trinity of the Frontenac-Pittsburg Metroplex

By Bobby Neal Winters

The leaders of commerce in this town are creating a paradise for us on the northern end of our lovely metroplex. They have created a Holy Trinity of stores for those of us of a certain turn of mind.

In the beginning were two words and those two words were Home Depot (which I sometimes jokingly turn into Home Despot--such jokes are more effective from more reliable spellers than me). And Home Depot was god and that god sat kitty-corner across from where Wal-Mart used to be.

Then came Tractor Supply.  Tractor Supply isn’t as showy as Home Despot (there I go), but it’s impressive.  The thing is that it has more than just supplies for tractors.  There is stuff in there that you didn’t know you wanted until you saw it.  There is stuff in there that would be better than gold to the sturdy men and women who carved this nation from the wilderness.

Now, at last, we have the completion of the Holy Trinity; the icing on the cake; the bow on the gift: Harbor Freight.

I’d only been to Harbor Freight once or twice in my life, and that was in Joplin.  To tell you the truth, I wasn’t very impressed.  That could be because I just didn’t look it over; or it could be because the one we have in the Frontenac-Pittsburg metroplex is just better.

I made my third trip to our new Harbor Freight yesterday, but this was my most important trip, because it’s the first time I’d been there alone.  My wife had been with me before, and as my fellow husbands can share, having the better half around affects matters.

Harbor Freight is the equivalent of a toy store to a certain turn of mind.  And what I said of Tractor Supply is even more true of Harbor Freight: There is stuff in there that you didn’t know you wanted until you saw it.  Then you might not know what it is, but you still want it.

I went there looking for something.  I didn’t find it, but I found a couple of other things I needed at a price below what I could’ve bought it for online.

I began this piece by praising the leaders of commerce in the area.  It could be that this happened by accident.  One has to be careful praising anyone from City Hall or downtown because sometimes it goes to their heads.  Luckily, we’ve got people who will complain if they buy sand for the roads because it might not snow; then they will complain if it snows, and there’s not enough sand.  There is no winning.

In any case, our current state of affairs is such a nice turn that it looks like design, so I am going to risk praising someone even if it’s not by name and even if they didn’t do it.

So excuse me.  I am now going to finish this up and make a run to the north end of town.

Bobby Winters, a native of Harden City, Oklahoma, blogs at redneckmath.blogspot.com and okieinexile.blogspot.com. He invites you to “like'' the National Association of Lawn Mowers on Facebook. Search for him by name on YouTube. )



No comments: