Saturday, March 19, 2011

Proceeding into new ground

This morning I installed Ubuntu Linux onto the old laptop that Lydia had been using. It was so easy to do as to be silly. Insert CD (prepared using instructions from here) and follow simple directions.

The laptop had been barely going for a while. There had been a virus issue that had been dealt with in a manner that left the machine without a sound card. I don't know why. After I installed Ubuntu, suddenly the sound card worked. I am amazed.

The truth is, though, I don't know what I am going to do with this now fully functional laptop other than to tell people "Hey, I've got an Ubuntu laptop!" I've got laptops running out my ears. The truth is that I just needed my fix. I am a junkie now, having made a couple of computers. It's in my blood.

My next project is beginning to form within me. Currently, I have a desktop computer with Windows Vista Ultimate addition hooked to the TV in the family room. I have used it to
  1. Record and play TV;
  2. Run Netflix;
  3. Play DVDs.
It can do a lot of other things as well, but I can't do them there as it is in the family room and people would bug me. My idea is to build a linux-based media center computer. I had mentioned this earlier and a hang up there had been Linux not being able to Netflix, but I got around that by purchasing a Roku. The Roku handles Netflix and a number of other options well.

What I would need to make this would be
  1. A blu-ray drive for about $80;
  2. A huge hard drive to record movies on for about $80;
  3. A small form factor case for about $70.
  4. A micro-ATX motherboard for about $60.
  5. A CPU to go with the motherboard for about $70;
  6. And memory to match for about $60.
Surely I am forgetting something, but this totals to about $420. That is a bit on the pricey side at this point, but it is a start. I will think on this and do some shopping and see if I can do better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you have joined the Linux (Ubuntu) universe. I have used it on my old laptop for a lot of stuff. Let me know if you need ideas. You have definitely graduated to "geek whisperer" status!
All the best,
J. Don